Sunday 30 March 2014

A new semester; a new project

This is the final project I do at the University of Leeds. Second semester of the third year. I can hardly pin point where the years have gone... I have enjoyed most modules and all three years have been a learning curve.

There has always been something to challenge me. This year has been stress upon stress trying to write a 12,000 word dissertation. I can tell you where most hours of procrastination went. Finding new series on Netflix is always a good option for boredom. Never the less, I am almost at the deadline now and that will NOT be a piece of work that I miss. Digitally printed textiles on the other hand, I love and want to carry on after University. Hopefully get a job and work in the Design world.

I started this blog in first year to document and keep an online log of drawings, sketchbook work, CAD/photoshop development, laser cut fabrics etc. I found that the modules taking up most of my time were the academic/written ones. Pattern & Culture through history for example. Whilst I found this interesting, I wanted to keep my blog mostly about the visuals. This worked in my favour. During exam period, or a heavy work schedule, I could almost re-inspire myself with my own work.

It's not all University work. In fact, the majority of posts are things I have done outside of class. When I got my beautiful DSLR Canon camera, I went even more photography crazy than I already am! My parents got me a big compact camera for college back in '10 and ever since I have been that annoying friend that snaps pictures wherever I go. Now I can use my camera to capture my textiles work in high quality, (need to go back through the best work and put onto blog), and I use photography to document primary research. Like the flowers for my next project!

I have a love/hate relationship with my development & final designs. I either become overly precious and feel lost without when its handed in for marking! Like having no handbag or purse on a night out. Or, it's a relief to be looking at something new! When the deadline comes, you know you could have carried on with the project, but all you want to do is to be finished and get rid of it. Thats usually around the time that I make a new blog post.

Florals for Summer fashion 2014

I can't help but feel florals has been overdone on the catwalk this year. However, they never really go out of style. I really like the idea of a 'secret garden' theme, but I know I have to make it my own and individual to make it stand out. No more 'Kaleidoscope mirroring' on photoshop this time. Which is sad because that is the quickest way I know how to make a repeat tile.
I have been inspired by designers recently using the garment as a blank canvas, using a painterly style to be expressive, and it really suits my style of working! My last two years at university, I have been figuring out how to draw aesthetically pleasing, graphic style, motifs and put them into repeat. So, I am looking forward to going back to a more free flowing, creative style.

Sketchbook development; Colour studies from florals.












No comments:

Post a Comment